It is a well known fact that SunMine has been an award-winning project, and has brought major attention to Kimberley. It has won many awards since 2015 to date, including:
- 2015 Community Excellence Award for Leadership and Innovation in Green Initiatives - UBCM
- 2015 Community of the Year – Clean Energy BC
- 2015 Sustainability Award – Association of Engineers and Geoscientists of BC
- 2016 National Award for an Engineering Project or Achievement – Engineers Canada
- 2016 Collaboration Award – Community Energy Association Climate & Energy Action Awards
- 2017 Clean 50 Award – Outstanding Contribution to Clean Capitalism
- 2017 Brownie Award for Best Large-Scale Project – Canadian Brownfields Network
Over 2,000 visitors have toured the SunMine site. Tod Caton from Simply Kimberley and Resort Tours has been assisting the City with meeting the demand for SunMine ecotours. Tod can be reached at 1-844-474-6759 to arrange for a tour.
The past three months has brought in the following revenue:
April 2018 Revenue - $18,603 on 176.81 MWh
May 2018 Revenue - $21,481 on 240.48 MWh
June 2018 Revenue - $18,058 on 203.8 MWh
Production for the second quarter was 102.8% of projected, after a particularly productive month of May. June 22nd marked the third anniversary of commercial production.
As of June 30th, 2018, the SunMine has generated $569,864. Annual debt payments on the $2M are $125,722/year. Any surplus once debt and operating costs are paid goes into a reserve, which was at $32,746 at the end of 2017.
There are 36 different rates paid for the electricity that is generated by the SunMine, dependent upon two factors. The first factor is which month of the year. Rates paid in May and June are much lower than those paid in December and January. The rates are lower when hydroelectric power is plentiful, and higher when water levels are lower. The second factor is time of day, divided into Peak (6 am to 4 pm and 8 pm to 10 pm), Super Peak (4 pm to 8 pm) and Off Peak (10 pm to 6 am and Sundays). The most profitable months for the SunMine are July and August, and the least profitable months are November, December and January. December in particular has been very disappointing compared to projections.